My Babies!

My Babies!

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Let's Play Catch Up

Hi!  It has been a while since I have blogged about these kiddos!   We are fully in "summer vacation" mode and enjoying our time off of school.

Landon finished kindergarten and will be starting summer school next week.  He made many gains and achieved a few IEP Goals this year.   He will again be in Project Class next year but unfortunately he will have to attend another school in our district.  I really did not want this to happen and felt that Landon should be given a chance to attend his home school in our district and try more time in a general education classroom.  The team felt that Landon still needed much support and that Project Class was the correct placement for him in 1st grade.   I only want what is best for my kids and as much as I wanted him to be included and learn how to adapt in a general ed room I also had to realize that maybe he is just not there yet.   The school had expressed they really wanted Landon to interact with as many peers as he could this summer so we have him trying out Soccer this summer.   I will have to post a video of his next game so our followers can get an idea of how our buddy plays soccer.
Landon as usual has his weekly therapy sessions: ABA, Feeding, and OT.   We are grateful for his amazing therapist and all of the hard work they do with him.  He is starting to answer "wh" questions with ease and understanding and of course he is trying new foods!!!   We have added apples, waffles, turkey lunchmeat, and pears to his diet.  This wonderful accomplishment comes with the help of Ms. Jessica and Suzi.   We are currently working on cereal with milk, yogurt, and hamburger meat.

Then we have Miss. Quinn...I am not even sure where to start with our little firecracker.   Quinn has come a LONG way in her talking.   To say it in a nice way...she doesn't stop talking now!  She is learning to speak and ask questions in complete sentences.  She is learning to voice her opinion and tell us what she wants exactly.   She has her struggles with asking and answering questions but we have been working on this skill daily.   Quinn's apraxia has halted her in fine motor development and motor planning.  She struggles to write and correctly hold a pencil, crayon, or marker.  Her OT has been strictly working on the letters in her name and making sure she knows the correct formation.  Apraxia is such an interesting diagnosis and I am actually still learning all the aspects of it.   People will say to us "So Quinn is all set now, she can talk!"  "She no longer has Apraxia!?"
My answer is "YES!"  We are so excited she can talk but she still has some motor planning and processing concerns that we are working on.   She LOVES school, dance, and telling everyone her name is "Quinn Renee!"   This summer she is also playing soccer and will be our little ballerina in her upcoming dance recital.   Quinn did not qualify for Summer School so I signed her up for a few Y classes so she can practice her socialization skills.

The kids and I go to the library weekly now to pick out books to read together before bedtime.  Landon is really starting to read fluently and Quinn LOVES to use her imagination to read books to me.   As an educator and mom this is my favorite part of the day with  my babies.   I love to hear them read to me!  


No comments:

Post a Comment